Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Layne's UNO Birthday Party





                                                Layne turned UNO!  And we had a party!
(12 month blog update still to come)

Here are the deets from the party:

Theme: UNO!  (get it she's one... the card game??)  Andrew's sister helped me come up with it from Pinterest.  Oh pinterest, Layne's party would have been real dull without it!


Location:  Pequod's Pizza   It's a great bar with great pizza and pitchers of beer!  We rented out the party room it was a free rental for "off prime time" i.e.: before 4pm on a Saturday.  I found it by googling.... "baby's first birthday party in Chicago..."  and Pequod's Pizza popped up a few times!


Date:  Saturday October 19, 2013  - Layne's actual Birthday!


Invitations:  I used a website called Punch Bowl to virtually send out the invitations.
Here is a sample of what the guests received via email  - then it opened it with more info for the guests (which i can't seem to find now that the party is past.)


Guests:  We invited family and a few close friends. :)
There were 33 adults
4 kids
5 babies
Great turn out!

Food:  We ordered 8 pizzas,  3 cheese, 3 sausage, 2 pepperoni
and 10+ pitchers of beer (I lost track once the beer started flowing)
and sodas.
We were able to bring in our own appetizers and my new Mama friend and (friend, friend) brought  some amazing mozzerella sticks and a wonderful salad from a restaurant called Roots, that her husband is the executive chef and one of the partners of the restaurant. ;)

And Andrew's mom made some great appetizers too!
So much good food.


Pizza Spread 

Appetizer Table




The CAKE!:  We ordered the cake from Andrew's good friend Donald's fiance Laura who is baker at a bakery here in Chicago.    The bakery is called Sensational Bites.
We ordered a smash cake.
A sheet cake to feed up to 40
and mini cupcakes.
UNO themed of course..
And after putting in the order, Laura told me that since her and Donald (her fiancé) couldn't make it to Layne's birthday party the cakes were their gift to Layne.  SO NICE!

Smash cake, mini cup cakes, CAKE CAKE!
Better picture of the cake (for Pinterest folks!) :)



Decorations:  Again, thank you to Pinterest! I have had a "secret" board on pinterest for a few months now with ideas for Layne's party.  I invited a couple of people on the board that could help me with ideas and were able to pin things.
Here is the BOARD   with all of my ideas.  
I think we did a great job in recreating it.
A special thank you to Aimee and Alison and Andrew and Grandma Chobot for their help in decorating. 


Here are some of our DIY projects:

Layne's Onsie- I ordered a black onsie on Amazon (because they are very hard to find in stores) ;/ And Aimee (Andrew's sister) bought this fabric transfer sheet, and Andrew printed out the UNO after googling the image and printing it on a colored printer- then ironed it on.  It worked out great! 

Before


After
Outfit:  Skirt Made by Aimee, Tights ordered on line (by Aimee) Bow: Made by Aimee. I have the BEST Sister in law ever! Not pictured RED CONVERSE! love them.


The Banner:
Andrew's mom is VERY crafty.  She made this amazing UNO banner for Layne - that most people thought I ordered on Etsy. NOPE!  DIY by Grandma Chobot. LOVE IT

It will be going on the wall in her room 


The high chair: idea from my secret pinterest board. I brought a booster seat from home so I could decorate it ahead of time and make sure she had a tray to eat the smash cake on. 
I went to the dollar store (where all of my decorations were bought) and got some colored construction paper and cut it out into triangles Red, Yellow & Green with a black background on all. 
Then I taped UNO cards to the triangles (ordered the UNO cards on Amazon) and taped it up to the booster seat!  This is the best pic. I got of it. 



The backdrop! I also found this on pinterest and I showed it to Alison who showed up early to help me decorate and she got it up in no time!  Perfect for all of the pictures of the smash cake in action. 
Pretty simple - streamers and balloons- turned out great!

oh!  Andrew made himself an UNO shirt too! ;)
The sign in book!  - I made the sign in book which was a photo book on Shutterfly    I used around 70 photos that we have taken of Layne throughout her first year, and we let everyone sign on any page they wanted to.  And the book ended up being FREE! Because i googled - "Shutterfly coupons", and I found one for a free 8x8 photo book for first time orders, I just paid for shipping.  SCORE!

Andrew made the sign to remind everyone to sign in. It says:  

Don't SKIP the sign in book!
It's WILD that it has been a year!
We can't REVERSE how big and fast they grow
So let's celebrate Layne's big UNO!

Please sign in on her first year of photos, book. 
On the front, the back or any of the pages. It's some thing will treasure for all of her ages!
thank you for celebrating with us, 
Love: Andrew, Jessica & Layne

(I got the wording from Pinterest as well and just re-worded it to make sense for a sign in book)

Here's Aimee in action. - Cover of photo book is from Layne's 9 Month photo shoot

We also did party favors for all the kiddos. Which I am sad to say i didn't get any photos of.  But we had really cute little canvas bags (dollar store) and mini uno cards, a mini maraca, and a mini trumpet. All UNO colors.  All party favors were bought at Party City.

I think that's it!  Thanks for following along. It was a great party! Here are some more shots from the party.

so gentle

she had some help ;)

Tyler smashing pops' face in the cake

Thank you for all your help Alison! 


Great friends

The Katz's

Me and the birthday girl

And a special shout out to Auntie Aimee.  Thank you for everything!!



Happy FIRST BIRTHDAY Layne!  We Love you so much!  

Love, Mama and Dada















3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the details for your party! One of the best how-to's with photos that I've seen. You're obviously super cool and from Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the details for your party! One of the best how-to's with photos that I've seen. You're obviously super cool and from Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This UNO birthday party was just so cute. This is truly an inspirational post! We too have a little kid and his birthday is coming so we are going to celebrate the birthday soon at the rental Chicago event space. I would like to do some DIYs too for this bash and you post has given a lot of ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...