Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Solids!


I am proud to say that I have exclusively been breasting feeding my little baby for 6 months now!  YAY!!  This was my first goal, but after making it this far I can't even imagine not making it to a year (and beyond?)  who knows!

But yesterday Sunday 4/21/13 we got some solids in that little chunker belly of hers.   We started her with Avocado.  I knew i wanted to wait until she was at least 6 months to start solids and that happened on Friday, so Andrew and I picked Sunday as the day.  I went to a local market and bought a fresh organic  avocado and mushed it all up and spoon fed it to her.


All mashed up with a fork. (getting ready to store on the right)



She proceeded to spit it all up.  Rookie mistake. I fed it to her AFTER a long night of sleep and after i nursed her so she was already full.
It was cute, we got a video of it and lots of pictures.  Here are some:

Ready to eat!
Not too sure about this....


Another mistake... put bib on top of tray so spit up doesn't go down the front of baby..

Here is how i stored it, all mashed up and threw it in the freezer.


So Day one was kind of a bust.

But, Day two! (today)  So much better!  I woke up, nursed her- played around. Then around noon tried the avocado again (before nursing her) and she ate it like a champ, and even took the spoon from me to feed her self (albeit got all over her face and shirt) but that's the fun of it right!?!

Day two: feeding herself.

So now we await the POOP.  ha!  Nothing yet, we will see how it goes. I'll make sure and report back. I am sure you are all very curious about that.  Hopefully she won't get constipated...  ahh the joys of parenthood.

I am following this website for ideas for Wholesome eating
http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/


Here is what the website says about Avocado as a first food:
****************************************************************

A Few Basic Avocado Baby Food Recipes:

Baby's Mashed Avocado for babies 4-6 months
Peel and de-pit a ripe avocado
Cut “meat” out and mash with a fork

There should be no need to use a machine as just like bananas, avocados have a very soft consistency and texture. Avocados do not need to be cooked.
**************************************************************************************

I'll try this for a few more days then I think we will try bananas next.  I plan on making all my own baby food for as long as possible.  I got this food processor from my baby shower and can't wait to bust it open.  Might as well use it if i got it!  I also plan on trying a bit of baby led weaning as well.  Which basically means give baby some food and let them suck on it. (i think)  But mostly i'll be pureeing. 

Side note: After showing the picture of my feeding Layne to my sister she was worried that the avocado was too thick.  Hopefully we have no trouble with her tummy, but i'll try to add some breast milk to liquify it a little more tomorrow. 

Tomorrow is her 6 month check up!  
So i'll be back soon for her 6 month update. 
Can't wait to see how much she weighs......





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...